Welcome to Kingston! As a veteran military spouse myself, I know the excitement and challenges of getting posted to a new city and/or province. As a newcomer to Kingston you can visit www.cafconnection.ca for all military-related resources. I’ve compiled a summary of these resources and personal recommendations for you below. Kingston is beautiful place to live and work.
If you’re getting posted in or out of Kingston this APS, don’t hesitate to get in touch.
– Stephanie Burke, Broker
Resource Guide for Military Families Moving to Kingston
Utilities Kingston is unique in Ontario, combining water, wastewater, gas, electrical and broadband networking services in one company, under the leadership of a single CEO. We also operate municipal streetlights and traffic signals, and provide a local, reliable water heater rental service. Learn more about our multi-utility services.
Kingston Hydro owns the wires, poles, transformers and meters that bring electricity from the provincial electricity transmission grid to 28,000 homes and businesses in Central Kingston, Canadian Forces Base Kingston, and parts of Barriefield Village.
- Cogeco – www.cogeco.ca/en/internet/packages
- Bell Internet – www.bell.ca/Bell_Internet
- Xplorenet (Rural High-Speed) – www.xplornet.com
- Union Gas / Enbridge Gas Inc – www.uniongas.com
Canada Post – Mail Forwarding
The Mail Forwarding service ensures that mail is delivered to a new or temporary address anywhere in Canada or the world when a business or residential customer moves, relocates, or wants the service for another reason. The service can be purchased online or at a post office.
Kingston Area Hospitals
- Hotel Dieu Hospital’s Urgent Care Centre
- Kingston General Hospital (KGH)
- Hotel Dieu Hospital Children’s Outpatient Centre
- Kingston Area Walk-in Clinics
- CDK Family Medicine and Walk-In Clinic
- Family Medicine Urgent Care Centre
- Hotel Dieu Hospital Urgent Care Centre
Wellness & Mental Health Walk in | KMFRC
- Gillis Dentistry & Associates
The Ontario Health Insurance Plan
- Apply for OHIP and get a health card – www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card
Telehealth Ontario is a free, confidential service you can call to get health advice or information. A Registered Nurse will take your call 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 1 866-797-0000
Kingston Military Family Resource Centre
32 Lundy’s Lane. Kingston, ON
Telephone: 613-541-5010, x5195
KMFRC Family Network
The Family Networks (FN) is a Canadian MFRC program that the KMFRC is implementing as a way of connecting with both military members and their families, in order to help them deal with the challenges associated with deployment and separation.
Driving in Ontario
In Ontario your driver’s licence is provided by DriveTest and the vehicle’s registration is distributed by Service Ontario.
When you move to Ontario, you can use a valid licence from another province, state or country for 60 days.
- Get your Driver’s Licence
- Insurance Coverage
- Safety Standards Certificate
- Get your Ontario plates at Service Ontario.
Register with the Kingston Centralized Childcare Registry. The registry gives parents/caregivers the opportunity to get listed on as many agency waiting lists as you want. The childcare agencies will contact you when a space becomes available.
Military families who want to register their child with Les Petits Amis Childcare Centre (LPA), also need to register with the Kingston Centralized Childcare Registry. Military families are LPA’s first priority. Please indicate ‘Military family’ in the comment section on the application.
- For more information: KMFRC@forces.gc.ca – www.cafconnection.ca/Kingston/In-My-Community/Welcome-to-Kingston/Childcare.aspx
As you move between provinces it is not always easy for families to know the criteria that each province has for education. To support you with your transition from out of province please find enclosed some information about education in Ontario.
Military Spouse Employment
The Military Spouse Employment Initiative (MSEI) provides military spouses and common-law partners with tools and resources to develop their skills and pursue their careers within the federal Public Service. The initiative aims to provide employment opportunities through inventories, pools, and other staffing options.
City of Kingston Recreation
- INVISTA Centre, 1350 Gardiners Rd.
- Artillery Park Aquatic Centre, 382 Bagot St.
- Rideau Heights Community Centre, 85 MacCauley St.
- Cataraqui Community Centre, 1030 Sunnyside Rd.
CFB Kingston Base Gym
- Memberships Fees and Programs: 613-541-5010 x 8759
PSP Outdoor Equipment Rentals
- Bellevue Beauty Bar Nails & Spa
- Salon Yetmir
- The Loft
- James Brett Downtown or West End
- Annex Spa
What to See & Do in Kingston (Tourism, Food, Museums, Parks, Beaches and more!)
- Visit Kingston – www.visitkingston.ca
- South Eastern Ontario – www.southeasternontario.ca
- Ontario Parks – www.ontarioparks.com
- Downtown Kingston – www.downtownkingston.ca
- Kingston Museum Association – www.kingstonmuseums.ca
- City of Kingston – www.cityofkingston.ca
Looking for more local resources & recommendations? We recommend checking out the local community Facebook groups! Connect and engage with other military spouses and members online. Don’t forget to connect with the Kingston Military Family Resource Centre for in-depth resources and information.
Community Facebook Groups
- CFB Kingston Military Spouses
- Kingston Military Family
- Canadian Military Spouses!
Getting posted in or out of Kingston this APS? Let’s chat!
Stephanie Burke, Broker
Cell: 343 364-2994